Strange things happen everyday, and even stranger things happen with words, when given enough time. Test your knowledge of weird below.
1. Over 50 countries around the world use English as an official language, and yet it’s still not the official language of America, Australia or Ireland.
2. But English is the national language of countries including America, Australia and Ireland.
3. 11% of the English language is just the letter E. Defying the odds, Author Ernest Vincent Wright wrote an entire novel Gadsby: A Lipogram Novel. The novel consisted of over 50,000 words.
5. A word only has a life of about 1,000 to 20,000 years.
4. The average person only knows about 50,000 words, despite there being over 2 billion words in the current Oxford English Corpus.